I tried serving this with some low-carb simulated popovers using flax meal, but they didn’t turn out. Real popovers might have worked out.
- 1 large steak, cut into strips
- 8 oz. Sliced Bell Peppers and Onion
- 1 tsp unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp Worcestershire Sauce
- 2 oz (1/2 can) Sliced Mushroom Stems and Pieces
For the sauce:
- 1 T butter
- 1 T heavy cream
- 1/2 c milk
- 1/2 tsp xanthan gum
- 1/2 tsp mustard
- 1 T white wine
- 1/3 c Cheddar Cheese, shredded
- 2 T Grated Parmesan cheese
Sear the steak in a large pan and drain. Add the flour and toss the pieces lightly to coat, then add Worcestershire and reduce heat to medium. Add peppers, onions, and mushrooms. Cook over medium heat until steak reaches desired doneness.
Meanwhile, melt butter in a small sauce pan. Whisk in xantham gum, then remove from heat and add cream. Bring mixture up to temperature slowly but do not boil, then incorporate milk. Add cheeses, stirring continuously until cheese melts. Add wine and mustard, and stir briskly.
Just before serving, pour cheese sauce over steak and toss lightly.