In retrospect, I might try baking the zucchini layer for a few minutes to dry it out a bit for a firmer texture.
- 1/4 c heavy cream
- 1/3 c Grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 8 oz. Sliced Bell Peppers and Onions (Costco or BJs has a good mix they sell as fajita vegetables
- 8 oz. Zucchini Slices, Frozen
- 1 oz almonds, ground and toasted
- 1/2 c Mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1/3 c Cheddar and Gouda cheeses (or really anything you like), coarsely shredded
- About 30 slices of turkey pepperoni
- 1/4 tsp Garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
Preheat oven to 350°. In a measuring cup, add parmesan and garlic to cream and whisk. Spray a deep casserole dish with your favorite baking spray and layer the bottom with zucchini slices. Brown the beef in a large skillet, adding salt and Worcestershire Sauce. Drain the beef and layer atop the zucchini. Cover the beef with a thin layer of ground almonds. Pour about 3/4 of the cream and Parmesan mixture over the almonds. Lightly sautee the onions and peppers in the beef drippings and layer in the dish. Top with a layer of pepperoni. Cover with mozarella and dot with the other cheeses. Sprinkle with basil and drizzle remaining cream sauce. Bake at 350° for about an hour.